VISION OF THE UNION
To be a lead trade union, to promote, protect, defend and safeguard workers’ rights in Hair and Beauty Industry, in the Republic of Kenya.
To enhance workers Rights through Education, Policy advocacy and
best practices for Social, Economic and Cultural
THE UNION'S CORE VALUES
- Nurturing and capacity building
- Collective Consultation
Where we began
There are nearly 2 million workers in the hair and beauty industry in Kenya. The majority are informally employed, harassed, intimidated, some paid on commission basis with no terms and conditions of work and also lack social protection.
This bitter story has motivated our making
Who we are
Kenya Union of Hair and Beauty Workers (KUHABWO) formerly Kenya Union of Hair and Beauty Salon workers
(KUHABSWO) is a National Trade Union
that represents workers in both formal and informal sectors in the Hair and Beauty Industry in the Republic of Kenya.
The Union is registered by the Registrar of the trade
unions, Registration Certificate Number TU/157. We are guided by the values of Integrity, Ownership, Accountability,Hard work-Diligence and Collective Consultation.
Functions of the union
- Creating awareness on workers’ rights in line with the Kenya Constitution 2010 and Labour Relations Act 2007.
- Organising and recruiting workers into the union membership for Collective Bargaining.
- Promoting, protecting and safeguarding workers’ rights and improving working conditions at the workplace.
- Educating workers in the Industry on Labour Relations, The Constitution and Management Development, such as Leadership, Communication, Industrial Relations and the New Constitution.
- Handling workers’ Labour Disputes at the workplace and offering legal services.
- Lobbying and advocacy for workers rights and regulatory order in the industry.
- Attending local and international conferences and workshops.
- Seeking partnership and collaboration with local and international organisations with similar objectives.
- Affiliating with local and international organisations.
- Creating awareness on child labour and HIV/AIDS.
- Creating awareness on social protection issues.
Hair and beauty union sacco
- The Union established and Registered a SACCO in June 2015 for the Socio-economic empowerment for its members.
- The members save for 6 months after which they are eligible for a loan.
- The Sacco pay bill Number is640699
tRAINING AT TOM MBOYA LABOUR COLLEGE
LEADERS OF UNION AND SACCO
seminar in nairobi
INFORMAL WORKERS MEETING
CREATING AWARENESS ON THEIR RIGHTS
FORMAL WORKERS MEETING
Shop Steward election
ISSUING CHEQUES TO MEMBERS
G/S KUHABWO aND MD BLACK AND BEAUTY PRODUCTS
SIGNING RECOGNITION AGREEMENT
GOVERNOR NAIROBI COUNTY
Hon.Mike sonko assits union officials and workers during a strike
Hair and Beauty Manufacturers workers;
Workers in Salons and Barber shops; Workers in hair and Beauty wholesalers, retailers
National Executive Council
Since I joined the sacco I have been able to educate my children and renovate and buy hair and beauty products in wholesale
Since I joined the Union I have Benefited from the CBA which was negotiated by the Union.